This curry was on my to do list for a long time but some how just getting delayed.
Chicken curry in coconut and poppy seeds gravy. All I can say is its lip smacking good, spicy but not too hot as coconut balances the heat very well.
Ingredients 1Chicken 1 2-3 lbs
Oil 1/3 cup
Garlic 1 head
Ginger 1 inch
Green chili 2
Salt to taste
Ingredients 2Poppy Seeds 1 tbsp
Coconut 1/2 cup finely grated
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Cinnamon 1 inch
Green Cardamom 4
Red whole chilies 4-6
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Paprika 1 tsp
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chillies into a paste.
- Chop onion very finely or grate it.
- From ingredients 2, dry roast all the spices except last three.
- Once roasted, grind them to a very fine paste. Poppy seeds are a little hard to grind so start with them then add coconut followed by remaining spices. You can add a little bit of water if required.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium and add onion. Fry till edges start browning.
- Add the chicken and ginger/garlic paste., sprinkle the salt and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the all ingredients from 'ingredients 2'.
- Lower the heat and fry till every thing is fragrant and chicken has browned a bit.
- Add 1-2 cups of water and cover. Cook till chicken is tender.
- You can adjust the amount of gravy in the curry. If serving with rice, keep it a little soupy or dry it out if serving with naan/roti.