Naan is a famous bread from the northern part of Pakistan. Its a yeast dough baked in the tandoor oven. Tandoor is a round clay oven and the sides are used to bake the bread on. It has a very high temperature which gives naan its crisp outside and soft cotton like inside. There are many varieties of naan from plain to stuffed to buttery ones. This recipe is on roghni naans. Roghni literally means 'with butter or ghee'.
These naans used to be for special occasions like weddings, eids etc but now a days eaten at any time you want.
Flour 4+1 cup
Yeast 3/4 tbsp
Yogurt 3 tbsp
Milk 2 cup
Sugar 4 tsp
Salt 2 tsp
Baking Soda 2 tsp
Butter 4-5 tbsp
Yogurt 1 tbsp mixed with 1 tbsp of water for the glaze
Sesame Seeds 1/2 cup
- In half a cup of warm milk, add sugar and yeast. Let stand till frothy approximately five mins. Add remaining milk to it.
- In a large enough bowl, add 4 cups of flour, salt, baking powder, oil and yogurt.
- Pour in the yeast mixture and knead the dough. Add more flour from remaining 1 cup if required. I almost used 3/4 cups. Knead for almost 5-8 minutes till the dough is smooth and comes into one mass.
- Pour a tbsp of oil in another bowl and swirl it around to coat the sides.
- Put the dough ball in the greased bowl, flip it once to cover all sides. Cover the bowl with a wet towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rest for 90-120 minutes.
- Punch down the dough to release the air and divide into 8-10 balls.
- Cover with a wet cloth and let rest for another 40-45 minutes till balls are almost double in size.
- Preheat the oven at 500 for at least 30 minutes.
- Take a dough balls and flatten it by using your hands into 1/3 inch thickness.
- Wet your fingers and make deep indents in the middle of the disk leaving 1/2 inch along the edges. Flip to 90 degrees and make indents again.
- Brush with the water and yogurt mix and sprinkle sesame seeds generously.
- If using pizza stone in the oven, using the paddle or back side of cookie sheet slide the naan on pizza stone and bake for 4-6 minutes.
- If using a cookie sheet, sprinkle some corn meal or semolina on your cookie sheet and put the naan on top. (it prevents the naan fro sticking to the pan). Bake for 5-8 minutes till nice golden brown on top. You may need to rotate the pan to cook in evenly.
- Take out of the oven and brush with some butter on top.
Serve hot with any curry, qorma, daal etc.