This beef recipe makes me feel nostalgic as it was a staple during the winter months while growing up. There was a particular place my father would go to buy it. Moving away from home forced me to develop this recipe to control my cravings. My kids love it in their sandwiches and i love it thinly sliced over my fresh garden salad. This high protein , low carb, low fat snack is not only good for you but easy to make and it keeps well for a long period of time. All you need is a bit of planning for the marination time. But the end result is well worth the time and effort due to its versatility.
Lean Beef chunk 2 lbs
Vinegar 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Salt 2 tsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Black pepper 2 tsp
Cumin 1 tsp
- Coarsely grind black pepper and cumin.
- Pour vinegar in a glass bowl, add water and dissolve salt and sugar in it.
- Add cumin and black pepper.
- Prick the chunk of meat with a folk all over.
- Put the meat in vinegar solution making sure it is covered all over. Cover and refrigerate the meat.
- Now begins the waiting part of it as this meat needs at least 5-6 days of marination. You need to keep it in the coolest part of your refrigerator. Turn it over once a day making sure it is submerged in the solution.
- After 6 days, put the meat in a pan big enough to hold the meat as well as the solution. Let it come to a boil, then put on simmer for at least one hour. Take the meat out of the pan and turn the heat on high to evaporate the water until you are left with a thick sauce. Rub sauce all over the meat and let cool in the fridge for at least a few hours before slicing.
- Slice thinly. You can use hunter beef for sandwiches, salads, pasta etc. It keeps well in the refrigerator for 10-15 days.