Thursday 7 August 2014

Home Made Yogurt



Yogurt is one the healthiest foods rich in calcium and probiotics. I grew up in a a area where buffalo milk is a common choice over cow's milk. Buffalo milk is high in fat content so the yogurt is rich, creamy and thick. I remember my mother making yogurt every night for the coming morning. I use yogurt in many different ways in my kitchen. It is served as a dip, used in marinating meats, cooking curries, as a drink or even as any time snack. Once you try home made yogurt, I gaurentee you will never go back to store bought again.
Here is how I make yogurt at home. Its very easy and does not need any tricks as many people think. All you need is milk and starter yogurt. Starter yogurt needs to be a active bacterial culture and can be bought from any store.

Ingredients


Milk 1 litre
Yogurt 4 tbsp (preferably live culture)

Method


  1. Put the milk in a pot and bring it to a boil. Keep stirring off and on to prevent it from scorching at the bottom.
  2. Once it comes to a full boil, pour it in a any ceramic or glass container. Cover and let it cool down where you can touch it comfortably.
  3. Beat yogurt till a bit creamy and stir in the milk.
  4. Cover and keep on a warm place. In warm climates it would set between 3-4 hours but in colder areas it might take around twelve hours.
Note:

In winters my mother used to cover it in towel/blanket to keep the temperature on warmer side, I normally put it the microwave or oven at night and it is set in the morning.
You can serve this yogurt with fruit or granola as a breakfast.
You can add sugar/ honey or pureed fruit in the milk to get sweet fruity yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment