IngredientsMilks powder 1 cup
All purpose flour 1 tsp
Semolina 1 tsp
Ghee/Clarified butter 1 heaped tsp
Egg 1 x-large or 1 1/2 large
Baking powder 1 tsp
Green cardamom powder 1 pinch
Oil for frying
SyrupSugar 2 cups
Water 2 cups
Saffron strands 1 pinch
Green cardamom 1 split
- Put sugar, water, saffron and cardamom and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for 5 mins. Keep it on low flame till Gulab jamuns are ready.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Add milk powder and semolina. Mix them with a spoon.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee and rub it in milk mixture with the palm of your hands.
- Beat the egg and add it to the milk mixture. Mix it to make until it forms a smooth ball.
- Make 15 balls without any cracks on the surface.
- Heat a couple of inches of oil on low medium oil in a wok or deep frying pan.
- Fry the dough balls til nice deep brown color. You need to keep a close eye on them or you will have uneven coloured balls. Keep stirring with soft hands without touching them much. Drain when they are browned and add to the warm syrup.
- Let them soak in the syrup for half an hour. Serve hot.